Monday, June 2, 2014

The cute and colorful side of Tacloban

It was the night of Nov 19, 2013 when I was on the way home while watching the news inside the bus TV. It was a very devastating sight - people of Tacloban were desperately reaching out for help. They needed food, clothes, foot wears, everything. They were left with nothing but their own lives. It was a very tragic Typhoon. It was a storm surge that hit them. Most of them were transferred from Tacloban to Villamor Airbase for temporary shelter and for feeding programs. I wanted to help but I know it's impossible for me to fly to the devastated place. I am of no help, I am just a plain office employee with a little and almost nothing in my bank account. An idea came into my mind when I saw the kids - My heart skipped and I wanted to hug each and every one of them just to comfort them. I am going to Villamor Airbase first thing in the Morning. I am making them happy, I will dress as a clown and will give them entertainment. I haven't done such a comical act in my entire life but that's the first thing that entered my mind. I can do that. Just to ease the pain I see in their eyes. Went straight to the bookstore and bought coloring books, colors, popcycle sticks, molding clay - all those school supplies you can find in a pre-school. Come morning of November 20, 2013. I have called the all Clown costume for rent services I find in the internet but none of them are available. I proceeded and brought the school supplies and went on to Villamor Airbase. I registered and volunteered as a Stress Debriefer to the kids. Honestly I don't know how to start but I just followed the "Sunday School Teacher" in me. The first scene I witnessed was very heart melting. When a big cargo plane they call "C 130" landed right in front of Villamor Stadium, the survivors from Tacloban went down from the plane one by one, I really cried. It was like a scene in a zombie-themed movie we watch where the survivors showed up after a big wave of zombies attacked the town. The volunteers in the Airbase were all clapping, giving them applause to uplift their spirits. To at least show them they're conquerors. I have seen at least 5 c130s as they land and drop passengers. From Morning to until 5pm, I roam around and look for kids then show them the stuff I brought, taught them how to color, mold clay, write their names and other fun things a normal child do at school except for one - I didn't ask them anything about the typhoon. Their "projects" translate their unspoken words. I was holding back my tears the whole time I was with the children. How can I ever ask sad questions when all I see in their eyes is hope? When we hear the word Tacloban, we picture calamity, hunger and death. But let me show you this - These are the children from Tacloban. The cute and colorful side of Tacloban.

No comments:

Post a Comment